Wednesday, July 26, 2017

July 2017


July has come, and is nearly gone.  But what a great 5 weeks since my last Blog Post.  I am most definitely a child of summer. There have definitely been a few downs over the past 5 weeks (chronic disease diagnosis, starting new meds, and quitting alcohol) but for now at least the ups out-number the downs :D

Here are some of the highlights!


The Kid and I continue to have our various adventures.  Its fun that the Kid is old enough now to appreciate this.  We go on walks, cruise to various parts of Peoria.  Sometimes stop and grab a treat.  Here we hit up Grandview Drive on a gorgeous day for a walk with a view.


We hit up the Heights as well, for a walk down the business district.


We felt particularly adventurous one Sunday, heading over to Champaign and Monticello.  A stop at Papa Dels was in order.


Terrible picture, but a fun moment hitting up the carousel at the mall in Champaign.  The Kid has a memory like mine, and still talks about this place from before he turned 3.



The new "Nick's Park" in Monticello is very nice.  The Kid Wonder was especially excited to climb on the faux rock formations.  Aunt Sarah was in town and joined in on the fun.


The heart of our trip was visiting Grandma and Grandpa, both of whom joined us at the park.  Always good to see them!


A landmark from my childhood - the old Allerton Library horse.  The Library has since moved, but the old brick building and statue remain.


As you might have noticed, the Kid has taken to refusing to smile for pictures.  Not sure where he gets all this orneriness from, I assume its from his mother's side.


Kid Sister!  Always fun to see the Monkey herself.  She's a little too old to climb around on my back anymore (earning her that nickname) but we're still buddies.  Wish I got to see her more.


I don't remember where this was taken, but he was happy and I wanted to capture that.


The Kid was dead set on seeing the fireworks - even if it meant staying up until Midnight (by the time we got home).  It was fun time and I am glad I stuck it out with him.  We learned about freedom, and pride in what is still the greatest nation on Earth.


A generous do-gooder even donated some sparklers for the Kid.  He was THRILLED.  I will say, to my likely everlasting regret we cut the show short.  Peoria has an awesome fireworks show, but it is LONG.  It was almost 10:30 when they ended.  The Kid and I were fading fast.  The show was going strong so I asked him if he wanted to watch while we headed for the car.  He said yes - but I think he agreed because he thought it was what I wanted (it was).  Not 5 minutes into our walk the Big Finale started... and from where we were in our walk back there was a big tree in the way.  My impatience cost the Kid that moment.  I learned a lesson then - stick it out.  I feel bad for cutting his first fireworks show short.  Won't make that mistake again, and hopefully we will make up for it next year.


After the Kid and I "discovered" the Grandview Dr walk, we decided to do it as a family.  Gorgeous day and a gorgeous walk!


On a sad note, my good friend Ben is leaving central Illinois for a new job in Cleveland.  He's a great dude that I already don't get to see often enough (when he lives 40 minutes away).  The boys decided to have a going away get together.   We met in Bloomington for dinner and a Cornbelter's game.  Weather was perfect, company was great.


I can't believe it, but it had been over a year since I had spent some time with my buddy Squeege.  This guy here is one of my best and oldest friends.  It was great to reconnect - and we planned a trip to see the Eclipse in August!


Godspeed Ben!  We're rooting for you in your new position.  I know you'll be awesome and make the most of it.  Cleveland is up and coming, take advantage.


This guy...  Another one of my oldest and bet friends: Hart.  Probably the biggest baseball fan among us.


We also took our second family trip Up North!  Our first stop is in Lacon IL for some ice cream and a walk.  Taking a moment to stretch our legs, we visited the memorial park.  Pardon the Kid's lack of reverence.


Lovie (new nickname) was a water-baby this trip.  She had a blast in the sand.  We were on vacation at the same time as my cousin and his family.  Lovie was the youngest (besides a newborn) and thought she could do everything the older kiddos could do - often to hilarious results.  She loved jumping into the lake, wading in the lake, and throwing sand.  But to be fair, who doesn't!?


Fun in Duluth!


My cousin Nick, his wife Nicole and their kiddos.  This is a busy crew, with four children, all around the Kid's age.  He made good friends and had good fun.   This was during our trip to Duluth on a rainy day.


Another trip out to the Lighthouse.


I couldn't believe it as it was happening, but the Kid Wonder braved the inner-tube!


Nick and I watching the kiddos on the inner-tube.


Lovie was absolutely fascinated by Nick and Nicole's newest little one.  "Beebee!" she would exclaim :)


Oh Kid Wonder - again with the faces.  Gotta kick that habit.  This was our traditional good-bye picture with Grandma. Grandma Letty is the hostess with the mostest for sure.  What a treasure to spend time with her.  We love you Grandma.


And with that, our trip was done.  We stopped off at Pirate Cove in the Dells for a chance to do some mini-golf and stretching of our legs.  Couldn't resist a pirate selfie!

Until next time, stay healthy :)

"The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you.
The LORD lift up His countenance on you,
And give you peace."

Numbers 6:24-26







No comments:

Post a Comment