Tuesday, July 30, 2019

July 2019 - Part 2 - Family Trip to the Cabin


July is closing out - and we have returned from the Northwoods.  Our yearly family pilgrimage to the Cabin is done.  We had a great trip.  There were a few bumps and bruises had, but overall everyone had a great time.  The Kid and I are eager to return in a few weeks for the "Man's Trip".

Here are some of the highlights.




The drive up is always a bear.  But this is our best trip in several years.  We decided to try something different, heading a ways up to stay with Mandi's parents, and then leaving from their house at 04:00 the next morning.  This was definitely the way to go.  Everyone slept for an hour or so (even Mandi!), and woke refreshed and happy to get doughnuts at Blue Boy Bakery in Lancaster WI.  Baberoo was especially excited!





Leaving so early meant we got to enjoy a lovely afternoon at Grandma's with the Nichols Family.  My cousin Nick was the oldest of the many cousins I had growing up.  He was also the ringleader.  It was so much fun to get to see them all.  Their oldest girl, M. loved giving rides in the kayak.




We also got to take out Ole Red, our hand-me-down Pontoon Boat :)  The children had a blast.


Grandma has a lovely beach at her place, and sand castle construction was a near daily occurrence.


A huge bonus this year was Grandma Polly and Grandpa Greg being up for the first week.  The kids spent so much quality time with grandparents.






We took one of our few cloudy days to head up to Duluth.  The children love visiting the toy stores, sitting on the stuffed moose, and seeing the lighthouse.  We tried to recreate last year's "Best Selfie Ever"... it wasn't quite as good.  But still pretty great.







One morning, to get out and do something different we took a trip up to Amnicon State Park.  This park is an absolute gem.  It is a little harrowing at times with the kiddos - especially Baberoo, who would like nothing better than to swim in the "wawa".  But we stretched our legs a bit and enjoyed the sights.












Here are a few random pictures from the trip, that do a decent job of touching on the highlights.


I found this gem stashed away in one of Grandma's photo albums.  The album was titled "'99 Vol 1" so I suspect it was from the summer of '99.  This was a trip that my cousins Cori, Kyle, Brock, my sister Betsy and I took on our own.  No parents.  I believe that I was just shy of 17 years old.  In the lower left is Alissa, a friend I met that summer and have kept in touch with since.  Next over is Cori in the striped towel, then my aunt Jodi who joined us later.  Up top from left to right are Betsy, Matt Parsons (3rd cousin of my stepdad), Kyle, Brock (standing), myself (kneeling), Ashley, Tara and finally Steve Parsons sitting.  That was a great trip.


After two weeks it was time to say goodbye.  It is always hard to leave Grandma's place.  The Kid and I will be back soon, and myself again for closing.  But for Baberoo and Lovieloo it will be a whole year until they return.

Thank you Grandma for a wonderful time!

Stay healthy.


"The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you.
The LORD lift up His countenance on you,
And give you peace."

Numbers 6:24-26









No comments:

Post a Comment