Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 has arrived.

The Holidays are over. 2012 is here. It has been a whirlwind of a few weeks. I went from FMS, to Vacation, from an empty house to a full house, and then back to an empty house again. An old year is gone, and a new year has come.

Mandi and I rang in the new year at my friend Matt's place in Bloomington. It was nice to see some of the MSHS gents again. It had been a while. I gave my beautiful wife the appropriate new-years smooch and called it good to go. We slept in today, rested on the couch, watched the Bears win (BEAR DOWN!) and are going to have some Lasagna for dinner. If the rest of the year follows in the fashion of today, it should be good.

Oh, and also. Its MY year. Booyah. For those of you who don't know Mandi and I have devised a system for deciding the age old Husband/Wife quandry of "who gets the last bite of dessert?". Like many couples, we often split a dessert. But when a treat is split, there comes a point where there is always a last bite to be had. In an effort to avoid nasty competition over this bite, or bitterness over someone getting it more often, Mandi and I decided that the fairest way to do it was to alternate years. She was born on an odd numbered year, myself on an even numbered year. As such on the odd numbered years SHE will get the last bite. And on the even numbered years I will get the last bite. Well suckers, its 2012. And that makes it my year! WHOO HOO!

2012 offers the promise of much more than last bites. 2012 is a big year. A huge year really. This is the year that I finish residency. This is the year I become board certified. This is the year where I realize a dream that is 20 years in the making. I start medical practice in Monticello in June. This is the year in which my oldest, and most favorite RP group is to be given new life. This is the year Mandi and I's marriage turns 5 years old. This is a year of new beginnings. For the first time since High School I will live within 50 minutes of all of my close High School Friends. For the first time in my life I will be in a place of financial stability and true independence. For the very first time in my life I will have no "next step" professionally looming at me around the corner.

And that is only that which I am aware of. Life has a habit of throwing curve balls, fast balls, and knuckle balls. Life as the QB rarely connects with the receiver you called the play for. Life can sometimes check you right up against the glass. It should be interesting to see what else comes at Mandi and I. Needless to say, updates will be forthcoming as events unfold.

Stay Healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment