Monday, January 30, 2012

I recently heard a song that really struck me. The tune was the first thing that really hooked me, but as I listened to the words it dug at me more and more. I suppose in that form it is good art, because that is the core of art. Normally not a huge Puscifer fan, I will grant them this victory over me.

"Nature, nurture, heaven and home
Sum of all and by them driven
To conquer every mountain shown
But have never crossed the river
Braved the forest braved the stone
Braved the icy winds and fire
Braved and beat them on my own
Yet I'm helpless by the river

Angel, angel what have I done?
I've faced the quakes the wind, the fire
I've conquered country, crown, and throne
Why can't I cross this river?

Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
It'll take a lot more that words and guns
A whole lot more than riches and muscle
The hands of the many must join as one
And together we'll cross the river"

In particular the opening lines, Nature, Nurture, Heaven and Home. Sum of all, and by them driven.

I can apply these words to myself because I think in some ways I have felt that I have always treaded water. Even as I have moved ever forward through life, towards my goal to be a doctor, a man, a friend, a husband and a father I have always had trouble crossing the river. Facing oneself and coming to terms with the weakest part of oneself is often a river we fail to cross. Puscifer front man Maynard James Keegan has often flirted with religious themes. And while that might not have been his intention in this song, I certainly took it that way. Because while I may not be able to cross that river, I certainly believe that hand in hand with my creator it is something I fill be able to face.

Pretty awesome song. Worth a listen.

Humbling River

Stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment