Friday, January 27, 2017

My Boy - the Kid Wonder

So today I am going to write a tribute post to my best boy, the Kid Wonder, the Boy Genius.  Oh Forrest.  You're too smart for your own good :)  He's a boy who knows the states and their capitals, who knows the streets of Peoria (that he's seen anyway) better than I do.  He can read and write, and enjoys doing so.  He's my kid who when offered the chance to watch something fun (Pokemon) he looked at us like we were asking him if he wanted a root canal.

But first and foremost you were my little buddy.  I feel bad often - like I didn't do enough.  Didn't spend enough time with you.  Or maybe I wasn't as present as I should have been.  Either way I look back at these pictures in wonder and can't figure out where all the time went.  I sure do love you little man.


This picture always cracked me up.  You were suspicious from the very beginning - I think its because you're so darn smart.  It wasn't too much longer after this that you started saying my name.  I know that its cheesy, as most children say "Daddy" first - but you whispered Da-da almost in reverence.  Always cracked me up.


Turtle Sandbox yay!  Summer days in Mandi's oasis were always fun.  I loved coming home for lunch was always a treat to see you covered in sand and thrilled to be you.


This was shortly after you got your Strider bike, for what I think was your 2nd birthday.  The Appletree neighborhood was the best for zipping around on that thing - so flat with all the side walks.  You took to it like a pro.


Oh how you loved the little carts.  And the customers at County Market in Monticello learned to fear for their ankles that day!


I think this takes my top spot for favorite picture of my biggest boy.  We were on the polar express.  Forrest was anxiously awaiting the festivities.  In this moment it was late, you were tired, but you were excited.  And so full of wonder.  And as you watched out the window of your first train ride I just swelled with love for you buddy.

You're the best kid.

~Dad





No comments:

Post a Comment